12.17.2010

NYC-PR-INTERNSHIP-JOB HUNT-where am I heading?

For my friends who have followed my blog - Thank You! Honestly, I haven't been busy. But if I can sum it up, life in NYC (since my move in September from Florence, Italy) has been internship, gym, shopping, new family, new friends, walking in the cold, and job hunting.

I want to try to keep this post short but I think I'm gonna have to divide into personal and fashion student related.

On the personal side, my move here wasn't as scary or terrible as Florence. I feel safer and jollier when I walk the streets here and now with snow I feel romantic and nostalgic because I have no love interest but thats ok I'm heading back home soon ;) It's all party there. Finding an apartment in Manhattan was pretty much luck! My boss recommended me her friends apartment, where I now live with 2 other roommates. The roommates have been great. They are hardworking women and we all try to keep the apartment nice and clean. I have no complaints about them! Which is weird. The only complaint is about my apartment - the surrounding is damn loud! But hey that's NYC for you. Most of the noise are the loud ass fire trucks 24/7! and it used to be people bar hopping but now that its cold no one stays outside and its quieter. Before finding a place, I was living with some family. 

Family I had never met. It was weird at first but they were so welcoming and sweet that it was never too awkward. My move here has also been easy because my old friend Maria who used to live in Nicaragua. Unfortunately, she felt a certain pressure to make me feel at home or busy with dinner and party plans. Eventually, we had the talk. So now there is no pressure to go out every single night or weekend. and for the final touch, my very good friend and classmate from Polimoda moved to NYC (technically NJ) for her fashion internship! and my cousin also set me up a friendship blind date with her college buddy who is also new to NYC and we have also become friends and because of her I've met a diverse group of people, who I think I can eventually call friends.

The only issue that brought me a little down was the fact that my "friends" from back home that have been living in NYC for a while have failed to appear. They have either stopped answering my emails or say "yeah, I'll call you later this week for drinks". People have told me "That's NYC for you - people completely change face" ...... All I'm thinking now is that I hope not to bump into you back home cause I don't wanna hear your lame ass excuse! ..... As a friend, you should have welcomed me, tried to help me around the subways, finding a place, or at least had 1 cup of coffee with me! Is that really a lot to ask for?

On a Fashion Student side ..... My internship wasn't what I expected. No glitz, no glam, no office. It was basically me and the founder and since she just launched in January 2010 - she is still starting and had no office. We basically worked out of a coffee shop and creative lounge. At 1st it was all cold calling and email pitching. Eventually, I got bored and asked her for more. I also started reading about 'What really PR is' and the answer was "Email All Day" and that's exactly what I did. I was in a rot for a bit but then I started to enjoy it again. I saw the Communications side of PR - I blogged, created lookbooks, wrote my 1st press release, pitched stylists, editors, and stores and of course I was a messenger girl but just a few times.

What happens now? Well I started applying to jobs in November and December. Jobs in PR. Entry-level positions. I've had 2 nervous breakdowns already. Why? Well I believe I have a good resume but it's just not fashion related and I have no fashion or PR names (LV, Gucci, Lacoste, People's Revolution) on it. My 1st internship was this new PR firm. However, this was my decision! I turned down Product Development for BE&D, never heard back from 7th House PR, and shot down a possibility at Starworks. Maybe I should have waited for something good but something told me to take this internship. I don't regret it but maybe I should have picked a name since I'm 25 years and desperately searching for a paying job. I realized late in the game that I wanted to pursue Fashion and now Fashion PR. My suggestion to those who are young .... INTERN! As much as you can! .... Anyways, after applying to jobs and getting NO answer! I last minute decided to intern yet again! This time for PR big timers ;) ..... I'll be there for 4 months and hopefully after that I'll be able to get a paying job somewhere in PR!

It's definitely tough here in NYC but I'm confident. I know who I am, hard-working, and optimistic ..... I guess it just takes time .... a lot of PATIENCE!

P.S. There's a lot of drama in PR! It's high school all over again but I like it ;)

Dear NYC PR,

I hope all is good cause I'm here to stay ;)

Best,


  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...